Friday, April 22, 2011

Club Espeng

Country: Spain
Location: check their website

Cost: free


Club Espeng is a Spanish / English language exchange that takes place once a week on Thursday evenings from 19.30. I usually have my Spanish class on Thursday evenings but since we have broken up for Easter a couple of classmates and I decided to give it a go.

When we went the event was being hosted at Juno bar on Shoreditch High Street but check theory website for the most up to date location information.  The hosts were welcoming and explained the format :  a fixed amount of time in one language and then a switch to the other language. To prevent people staying in little groups they rang a bell after 5 minutes or so and you had to chat to new people.

It was a great evening and good speaking and listening practise. The only thing that was a bit tricky to judge was the level of the people you were talking to. At one point I joined a conversation between two native Spanish speakers which was very challenging until they realised I was a bit lost and slowed the conversation down. Equally you could end up with someone with a very low level of Spanish/English which could make a conversation hard work.  Everyone was very patient and understanding though. 

I really hope I pass my Spanish exam and can go on to further study . In any case I'd definitely consider going back once I have Thursday nights free again.



Website here:
www.clubespeng.org

No comments:

Post a Comment