Sunday, July 24, 2011

War + art

I seem to have gathered quite a few countries into my blog via restaurants and shops - partly I supposed because these are the easiest to find online or just passing in the street.

However, I'd like to travel the world in London with more than just my little belly so I'm going to try to make more of an effort to visit other things such as dance or theatre during my travels.

These are two paintings from a series called The Battle for Abidjan by an artist from the Ivory Coast called Aboudia Abdoulaye Diarrassouba. They are on display at the Jack Bell Gallery in Victoria until 1st September 2011.



I found the paintings very powerful and unsettling.  It's hard to imagine how it must feel to not only to witness but to have to live with as part of your daily reality the horror that the artist has captured.

No comments:

Post a Comment