Sunday, November 27, 2011

World Press Photography contest 11

I'm not sure what I thought about the World Press Photography contest 11 exhibition.  On the one hand it is important that journalists cover incidents that we might find hard to read about and look at: war, natural disasters, famine etc.  

On the other hand I found one or two of the photographs a bit disrespectful to the people portrayed in them.  People are murdered each year in the UK and I would hope that even a paper like the Daily Mail would have enough respect to their families to not show a person's head or any other body parts lying around on the ground.  So why is it ok if the victim is Mexican?  He'e still someone's son/uncle/brother etc.

Apart from that niggling issue at the back of my mind, there were some brilliant photos taken from around the world. A few are below:


Bolivian wrestling women

Orchestra member practising the cello in Kinshasa, DR Congo

No comments:

Post a Comment