Sunday, September 4, 2011

History of the world in London

I would have preferred to visit every country in the world without having to step back in time because if I was really travelling around the world I wouldn't have the option to do this.  Also it's sometimes not always clear whether artifacts in museums from other countries were given as gifts or whether people simply helped themselves.

However having looked at my list of countries I think I will struggle to find a restaurant/shop/art gallery etc for all of them so to give myself a chance to complete this project before the Olympics I am going to include a new category of History in my blog.  I'll still try to find contemporary countries to visit wherever possible too.

According to the Horniman museum website Frederick John Horniman's mission in his collecting of artifacts was the bring the world to Forest Hill, so in a way I am a girl after his own heart.  It is apt that I have started my history section in the museum housing his extensive collections.

So I'll start with these Ceremonial paddles from the Solomon Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment