Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Mexican Gallery


This is a sculpture of Huaustec Goddess from Mexico. According to the British Museums these statues are related to the earth goddess Tlazolteotl who was associated with filth and carnal sin.


I didn't realise that the people we call Aztecs never used this word to refer to themselves.  It means 'people from Aztlán' which was the ancestral home of the Nahuatlaca people.

This stone figure is of Xochipilli, the flower prince, who is a solar deity. He is the patron of feasting, dancing, music and poetry.



Xiuhcoatl the fire serpent.

I am currently trying to read books that have recently won the Man Booker Prize but the more I scratch the surface of the world history and beliefs the more I realise that I really don't know anything much at all.  So maybe I should switch reading material and then I can come back and write some more detailed posts about the period that all these artifacts are from.

No comments:

Post a Comment