Saturday, June 25, 2011

E Lucevan Le Stelle

My first visit to Covent Garden Opera House was a brilliant experience!

I read a synopsis of the plot of Puccini's Tosca in advance so that I'd be able to follow what was going.  I watched a couple of operas that had been filmed for cinema back in 2009 so I was expecting a rather heavy going experience but it was much more enjoyable to watch everything in real life rather than on a screen.  And I really enjoyed going out at the interval to see what everyone was wearing and to listen to their discussions about the opera (one of the guys in my row was watching Tosca for the 15th time!).

The story was easy to get into and I found myself getting annoyed with Tosca in the first act for not trusting Cavardossi and then routing for her in Act 2.  In terms of the music itself I didn't find it especially captivating apart from this aria from Act 3, which was very moving:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l571-ctxNcQ


The 'floating' bar

Nothinng to do with Tosca I just liked this costume on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment