Sunday, June 12, 2011

R is for Russia (and Central Asia)

Every month there is a kind of alphabet restaurant event on Couchsurfing.  Each month they pick a country starting with whichever letter they've reached in the series and then a restaurant for that type of food.  This month was R for Russa.  I've been in London a year and a bit now and still have not been to this event so I thought it was time I went along to meet some new people and eat some Russian food.

The restaurant was pretty small and the waitress somehow managed to squeeze us all in even though we had a couple of extra people than the table was booked for.  We had dark rye bread on the tables we started nibbling on these whilst we waited for a few of the latecomers and watching some of the Russian music videos on the TV nearby.

 I had Kvass to drink which is a malted drink made from rye bread and was really good.


And I had plov to eat, which from what I understand is an Uzbek and Tajik dish of broth, rice and, in the case of the one I had, beef.  

I think this is a really great way to try out new food - we had a couple of Russians in the group who were able to recommend things to us.  And it's a nice way to meet new people.  A lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment