Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pubs you could get very lost in...

So London has plenty of 'Irish' pubs but I'm going to class the Porterhouse in Covent Garden as Irish for my blog because the first two pubs in the Porterhouse Brewery chain of 6 were in County Wicklow and Dublin.   I was here for a friend's birthday but I realised when I went into this maze of a pub that I'd been here before around January 2010 with an Irish guy I know, before I moved to London.

There was a band playing and although they were good, they were so loud that it was hard to hear what people were saying.  If we had been after a more boozy night and a boogy they would have been perfect.


 Combined contexts of pockets/handbags along with a selection of beers.  All you need for a good night out in London.

 The Porterhouse has a large beer menu, with beers on offer from lots of different countries.  Even though I'm not a beer fan, I'm sure I'd find something I'd like here.  I tried a passion fruit flavoured beer which was nice and sweet.

As an aside: Waxy O'Connors in Soho is also a maze of a pub, though the connection to Ireland seems to be limited to the name and the tree inside.  But it's not often you find venues with trees inside (Portobello Gold and Rainforest cafe are the only ones that spring to mind) so I'd say it's worth a visit on that basis.  I got stopped by a guy in Waxy's once who was unable to find his way out and said he had been searching for an exit for quite some time.  If you ever stop by and he's still there, help him out will you?

For for information about the tree www.waxyoconnors.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment